Do you derive pleasure in handling camera and would like to start a photography business? Are you looking for small business you can start with little capital but can’t come up with one? If that is the case, what about changing that your hobby into business by becoming a highly paid photographer?
As a wannabe photographer, kick starting your own business in the photography niche wouldn’t be easy and at the same time it wouldn’t be that difficult. Let your first priority be on how to setup a lucrative and highly patronize photography business. Although with many a people having a good personal camera, converting yours into a business seems like a breeze.
However, the truth is that photography is an art just as much as music, painting or drawing and such can not be denied. Getting yourself acquainted with the right techniques like observation of light, colour theory, aesthetic looking surface, form and balanced composition are not enough.
You need the following tips if you really want to venture into a productive and profitable photography business of your own.
1. Learn Manual Mode Shooting To succeed in photography business, it is very important for you to know and understand light in manual mode shooting. It may seem awkward or very intimidating in the beginning, but once you grasp the way and manner light is being captured into the camera, then you are ripe to take total control over the frame with your creativity.
2. Understand Yourself and Your Work Better. While you are on mission to build your own photography empire, it is at your own interests and for the good of your dream business to figure out your own style and create some class of aesthetically consistent work. Thus, using them as your initial or start up portfolio.
Be as it may, do remember that your photography business portfolio will always change as time pass by and as your shooting style matures. Still, you need to understand and figure out the kind of photography styles that suit and resonate with you the most. Figuring that out will help you greatly when it comes to defining your definite niche.
This particular tip needs to be isolated unless and until you figure it out, you cannot proceed or move on to anything. This is a business that you’ll be doing in return for stable financial cash flow. Thus, it is vital to first figure out the kind of photography services you will be able rendering with a full confidence and complete knowledge of it.
So therefore, seeking for real camera experience and gaining lots skills in the course of research will help you immensely to increase your shooting confidence.
3. Create a Business Plan. As foundation is important to a house so does an effective and efficient business plan to any startup or establishment. So for your photography business to last longer and provides you your desired outcome, it is very necessary for you to come up with an ideal and working business plan that will serve as guide in the course of building your own photo empire.
There are several things that you need to consider in the course of mapping out your plan. Who are your target audiences and where can you meet them? What niche of photography will you specialize on? Will you go into the trip and field photography or children photo shooting, wedding, party, burial or ceremonial photographer? Paparazzi, wildlife or what class of photo shooting that will suit your style and motive needs to be defined in your business plan.
Also, your business plan needs to contain your startup budget, vision, mission, aims and objectives and your target goals in few years to come as a photographer. Plus, it is expected of you to draw up your price list, too, and the host of other vital things in your business plan.
However, if you can’t come up with a working business plan of your own by yourself, you can engage the service of a business consultant to help you with one or guide you through in the course of sketching it out.
4. Buy your photography kits. “Waste is that farmer that set out for the farm as early as 6:00 in the morning without his farm tools.” Such cliche is applicable to a photographer without his kits. However, buying a photography kit is an important step that you should not be overdone.
Be enlightened that you can always rent the lights and some other photo studio equipment till you are okay enough to get yourself one. In fact, if you don’t have the money to build your own studio, you can also rent out a studio space. As a starter, buying unnecessary equipment can be a kankerworm to your business.
5. Market Your Photography Skills or You’re-Out of the Game Having got your equipment and photo studio ready, the next thing you need to do is to create awareness of your photo studio existence in the photographer realm. You can start with the basics ones by using the instrument of social media pages, forums and community. Since, the influence of social media marketing to seasonal and potential customers can never be overemphasized.
Better still, create a website of your own with details and direction to your studio. Since no one want to know the kind of work or service you are doing or offering, it is encouraged that you make them care; this can be better done by uploading pictures and images that has aesthetic, appealing cum domestic looking with your business imprint on it on every single social media platform that you are on.
Conclusion. To succeed in this business, apart from being skillful and creative, you need to be patience and persistence enough because the road that leads to a successful photography business look tough and seems slow. Hence, the most important thing is that you stick to your dream and never lose hope.
About The Author
Ikoi Abode Ikenna
A pharmacist. Motivational speaker and an Entrepreneur that is happy to work while others are out partying. Have a Business idea to discuss? Join: www.westentrepreneur.com